· Hired Robert Gottschalk as Fire Chief, effective April 1, 2016. Gottschalk is a 27 year veteran of the career Ambridge Fire Department, previously served as Assistant Chief. He is a state certified Fire Instructor, Firefighter II, Fire / Explosion Investigator, in addition to multiple other emergency service certifications and credentials.
· Promoted Donald P. Larrick, Jr., to the rank of Assistant Fire Chief. Larrick a third generation Ambridge Firefighter, career firefighter since 2011, and previously a member of the Ambridge Volunteer Fire Department since 2000. Both Larrick and Gottschalk are to be sworn into office at the April 12, 2016 Council Meeting.
· John Orndorf, Board Member from the Ohio River Trail Council gave an update regarding the North Shore on-the-road proposed bike route that will go through Ambridge. He stated that the feasibility study has been completed and that consideration is needed to expand the complete streets concept, with the project being a multi-municipal effort for it to be successful.
· Council authorized advertisement of proposed Ordinance No. 1284. The Ordinance will allow for penalties for property owners who violate the Borough’s Historic District Zoning Requirements.
· Approved the exterior renovations and provided a Certificate of Appropriateness to the historical renovations underway at 273 14th Street. Property also received Ambridge HARB approval.
· Entered into agreement with Beaver County Transit Authority and Port Authority of Allegheny County to replace the bus shelter at the Ambridge Park and Ride. The new shelter will be bigger and an esthetic improvement.
· Hired Martin P. Zimmel as a part-time police officer / School Resource Officer. Zimmel, a retired Allegheny County Police Detective, military veteran, and former Crescent Twp. Police Chief will start February 10th in his new position within the Ambridge High School. Zimmel is certified as a School Resource Officer.
· Authorized Graham’s Tree Service to complete trimming and removal services to Borough trees throughout the community at a cost not to exceed $15,000.
Submitted by Joseph Kauer, Borough Manager
BOROUGH OF AMBRIDGE