The board voted to hire Noel Santini as guidance counselor and June Mueller as secretary to the director of professional services.
The board also voted 8-2 to advertise for a junior high principal with a salary not to exceed $75,000. School directors John Baker and Mary Jo Kehoe voted against the measure.
- Voted 6-3 to approve increases for the district's administration. Board members Robert Keber, Kimberly Locher and Roger Kowal voted against the measure. Baker abstained because his wife is business manager Minnie Baker.
- Voted 9-0 to approve increases for food service department employees--cashiers, food service assistants and monitors-crossing guard, and custodial employees who have reached the top of the substitute and part-time non-bargaining unit employees pay rate schedule. Also approved salary increases for confidential secretaries and secretarial stipend positions.
- Voted 7-2 to approve payment of 2014-15 stipends to the JROTC instructors. Board members Kowal and Locher voted no.
In other business, the school board:
- Approved a one-year technology contract with Communications Consulting Inc. of Warrendale for $60,000.
- Ratified the adoption of textbooks. The total cost to the district, including free materials and estimated shipping and handling, will not exceed $449,406 for the K-6 Reading Wonders and WonderWorks series and the K-5 My Math 2013 and Real World Problem Solving Reader series textbooks.
- Approved a resolution authorizing Community Advocates for Education (CAFÉ) to proceed with establishing an education foundation.
- Accepted a $500 First Energy Corp. STEM grant received by Don Ayers, who teaches eighth grade Integrated Science and Honors classes at the junior high school. Students will build a simulator of a nuclear reactor to understand the concept of a controlled nuclear decay, and how this decay is controlled. The demonstration and experiment will be an example of a reaction with few neutrons released with each atom’s decay.
Like Ambridge Connection on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and sign up for our weekly newsletter.