Ambridge Fire Department determined that there was a gas leak and contacted Columbia Gas.
Gottschalk said that Columbia Gas did an inspection and determined that there was a leak in apartment 402's furnace and shut off service to the unit. Columbia Gas placed a red tag on the furnace to indicate the problem and interruption to the service, added the Chief.
According to Gottschalk to have the red tag removed the furnace must be repaired by certified personnel. "They can't just turn the gas back on and removed the red tag; they have to be certified."
"We also found a gas leak in apartment 201" Gottschalk shared.
"In the past two weeks, we have been to apartment 201 four times; last night was the fourth time."
The third time the fire department was at the apartment was on Monday night; there was no gas detected, the gas line was off. "It is not a simple thing to turn on" shared Gottschalk
According to Gottschalk, the owner of the building was advised that he was to have someone certified come in and repair the furnace and provid documentation that the furnace was repaired. " We have never received any documentation at the fire station."
"When we went back there last night, the furnace was turned on and the furnace was still red-tagged. "
Gottschalk shared that Columbia Gas red tagged the furnace in apartment 201 on Friday, again.
If you have a concern of a gas leak call 911.
For Nonemergencies, call the fire station at (724) 266- 7926