A structural fire was reported at 527 Merchant Street in Ambridge at around 11pm on Sunday, July 5. Witnesses reported seeing smoke billowing from the second floor apartment, which is currently occupied. The first floor is currently occupied by JBS Wireless.
The fire was easily contained to the back of the building and was put out quickly.
Drewnowski continued, “We have one suspect in mind right now.”
It could have taken a lot longer for the fire to be reported had there not been tenants occupying the second floor apartment at the time of the fire. Their smoke detector alarm went off and alerted them almost immediately.
There have been many major structural fires recently in the area. If you have any information regarding suspicious causes or persons possibly involved in starting fires in the area, contact Ambridge Police at 724-266-3270.
Regarding fire safety in general, please make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in effective locations, are up-to-date and working, and have good batteries. Do not leave burning candles or cooking food unattended. Keep an up-to-date fire extinguisher close at hand. If a fire starts, call 911 immediately. Talk to your family and coworkers about fire safety and escape plans.